Sunday, August 31, 2008

Thing 10 - Wikis

Wikis are in my future! We're thinking about a wiki in our building to support teachers using technology. It will be a collaborative gathering place for tutorials, tips and resources. This will be fun. There is also an art teacher in the building who is interested in collecting student feedback on artwork. A wiki may be the way to go. (I mentioned this in my post on the 23 things on a stick wiki.) It was interesting to see the variety of wikis. The St. Joseph County Public Library subject guides were very interesting and really a variation of what many of us currently offer on our library websites - subject based resources. However, I keep only current subjects in the curriculum on my webpage. This would be much more efficient. Though editing was restricted to library staff, patrons could submit requests and comments. It was also interesting to see that the Book Lovers wiki had moved on to online reviews in their library catalog. I've added some of these wikis to my Delicious account. (You'll remember that I completed Thing 11 earlier in the process.) A resource like PBwiki that is designed for use by educators is great.


Wikipedia is allowed by some teachers in our middle school; others prefer not to have students use it in their research. I have taken the position that it is important for students to understand how information is edited in Wikipedia and why they must be careful. I encourage students to find information in more than one source and to pursue discrepancies. Wikipedia often has very useful links and intertwines with associated articles. We need to teach our kids to use it wisely.


No comments: