Sunday, September 7, 2008

Thing 14 - Library Thing


In January of 2007, I set up a Library Thing account. I entered two books and thought little more about it. Since that time, I have visited occasionally, but found no compelling reason to use this resource. Even at this point I have little interest in creating a record of my personal library. However, I noticed that some are, instead, entering books they are reading. To me, this has more appeal. Whether or not it is a efficient use of time is still a question for me. I am most interested in the Amazon bookmarklet, allowing one to add a book viewed in Amazon to your Library Thing account with a click. This might be a useful way to prioritize books to add to your reading list. I was also pleased to find the Local tab, allowing one to see what book events and authors are in the area. I may be missing something, but it seems that new circulation systems are providing many of the services and benefits of Library Thing; personal lists, reviews and recommendations.

No comments: